~ museum quality, handcrafted, custom-built wooden model ships ~
Albany Class Guided Missile Cruisers: CG-10
Model featured: CG-12 USS Columbus
- circa 1962 to 1976 -
The conversion saw the erection of a new superstructure which was very high and carried an extensive array of radar antennas and other electronic gear. Launchers and magazines for the long-range Talos missiles were installed fore and aft, while a smaller launcher for the Tartar missiles was fitted on each side of the superstructure.
Anti-submarine armament included an eight tube launcher for ASROC placed amidships and four triple Mk-32 torpedo tubes were also added, two per side.
The ship's appearance and capabilities were thus completely
altered. Converted as all-missile warships, the two 5-inch guns with open mounts
(one per side) ) were added after the conversion was completed.
The new class of three ships entered service in 1962 to 1964. The final two conversions - CA-124 USS Rochester and CA-130 USS Bremerton - were cancelled. The entire class was taken out of service and disposed of by the early 1990's.
History of USS Columbus
Laid down in 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Co. at its Fore River yard in Quincy, Massachusetts, USS Columbus was commissioned as a Baltimore Class heavy cruiser on June 8th, 1945.
Joining the Pacific Fleet, Columbus reached Tsingtao China, January 13th, 1946 for occupation duty. On April 1st, she helped to sink 24 Japanese submarines (prizes of war) and next day sailed for San Pedro, California. For the remainder of the year, she operated in west coast waters, then made a second Far Eastern cruise from January to June 1947.
After west coast operations and overhaul at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Columbus cleared Bremerton April 12th, 1948 to join the Atlantic Fleet, arriving at Norfolk, Virginia., May 19th. The ship made two cruises as flagship of Commander-in-Chief, Naval Forces, Eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean (September 1948 to December 1949 and June 1950 to October 1951) and one as flagship of Supreme Allied Commander, Atlantic, during parts of the NATO Operation "Main Brace" from August to September, 1952.
Mediterranean: October 1952 through January 1953
serving part of that time as flagship of the 6th Fleet.
© 2002-2017 All Wood Ships - All Rights Reserved